Saturday, April 17, 2010

Exploding Beignets (Ben-yays)



New Orleans is a fantastic place to walk around...even when it's drizzling. We headed down Magazine Street till we reached the French Quarter. Our first stop was the Cafe Dumonde at 1039 Decatur Street for some hot chocolate and beignets. This place is really amazing...with a huge covered patio area and every table taken, even though it's 3 in the afternoon. And, the place is opened 24 hours a day!
We got a table and ordered our hot chocolate and two orders of beignets to share. I need to forewarn you that this is a heavy powdered sugar experience, not to be taken lightly. I wish someone had given me that info prior to my first beignet encounter. Of course, when these tasty treats arrive at your table, under a heavy layer of powdered sugar, most people would have a clue. But not Terrell or I. The only one with common sense was Carly, who tapped off most of the powdered sugar onto her plate prior to taking a bite.
Maybe I was just a bit overly excited, but I opened my mouth wide, inhaled, and took a bite. Unfortunately I inhaled about a pound of powdered sugar and proceeded to have a major coughing attack. Meanwhile, I glanced over at Terrell, who, at that moment took a bite of her beignet, resulting in a small explosion of powdered sugar all over her face and jacket.

It was as if we had a powdered sugar volcano erupt at our table. The powdered sugar seemed to be everywhere. The more you tried to wipe off, the more it spread. Terrell, already distressed with another bad hair day, was now looking like a Cover Girl model for their new line of ghost makeup.
My jeans seemed to act as a magnet for all remaining airborne powdered sugar, even on my butt (have no clue on how that happened).
Of course, we all started laughing, which is not good since I think I inhaled even more powdered sugar, and resulted in me having to use my inhaler. When the storm cloud finally settled, we did enjoy these warm tasty treats and were thrilled that we had stopped at this charming place.

No comments:

Post a Comment